what’s the deal?
As a Discovery Vitality member it pays to be healthy, and the healthier you are, the more it pays.
As a member you can get great savings on British Airways and Emirates international flights. Two discounted international flights are available to you per annum, and are limited to economy class travel.
- All Vitality bookings carry a fee of R29 per booking per member. This fee does not apply to infants under 2 years of age
- Only members who are listed as your dependants and are members of Vitality qualify. For example, if your spouse is a Vitality member, he/she would qualify, but if your children only belong to your medical aid, and not to Vitality, they don't qualify and will pay the normal price
- Bookings need to be made at least six weeks in advance
- This deal allows for two return bookings per Vitality family member per year
- The saving is calculated on the base fare which means it excludes airport taxes
- Rates and availability will be the same as the best quoted international fare on the day that you make your booking
- For changes, cancellations or refunds contact the Vitality International Call Centre 011 921 0490 (office hours) at least 24 hours before departure. Tickets carry restrictions regarding changes, cancellations and refunds
where can I fly to?
Flights from Johannesburg, Cape Town or Durban to any of the following destinations:
|Edinburgh||New York||Victoria Falls|
|Africa||Asia||Americas||Australia & New Zealand||Europe & UK|
|Accra||Bahrain||Dallas Fort Worth||Auckland||Athens|
|Ho Chi Minh||Prague|
|Kuala Lumpur||St. Petersburg|
If you do not live in Cape Town, Jo’burg or Durbs when booking an international flight, you will need to book the connecting flight separately. Do this by either booking a Vitality British Airways (operated by Comair) flight or a Vitality kulula.com local flight separately from the international flight. If you select this option this flight will contribute to both your international and domestic flight allocation.
Please ensure that your connecting flights arrive at least 3 hours prior to your international departure time. If a domestic flight is delayed, and you miss your international flight this will constitute as a no show. A new ticket will have to be purchased.
Visit the Discovery website for more information on Discovery Vitality.
NB international flight info:
passports and visas
changes, cancellations, refunds
Contact the Vitality International Call Centre 011 921 0490 at least 24 hours before departure.
Monday to Fridays: 07h30 – 17h00
Saturdays and public holidays: 08h00 – 12h30
Closed on a Sundays
- Tickets carry restrictions regarding changes, cancellations and refunds
- All service fees and change fees are charged per person
- If you miss a flight this constitutes a no-show and a new ticket will need to be purchased, your original ticket will be non-refundable and any onward connections will be cancelled
- if your ticket qualifies for a refund, it can take up to 8 weeks for the refund to be processed
advanced passenger information
The governments of various countries are required to collect Advanced Passenger Information from passengers before they travel. You may submit your information online under ‘Manage My Booking’ or at airport check-in.
The following information is mandatory:
- Passport number, country of issue and expiry date
- Your name as it appears on the passport
- Date of birth
Additional information for travel to the USA:
- Country of residence
- Destination address in the USA (except USA citizens or residents)
- The Alien Registration Number (Green Card) for USA residents only
tips for packing your bags
- Before you travel, weigh your bags and make sure both your checked and hand luggage are within the maximum luggage allowance
- Pack valuables into your hand luggage
- Carry medicine, money and important documents in your hand luggage
A fee is charged for overweight baggage. Please check the baggage allowance with the chosen carrier
- Your baggage allowance depends on your travel class and ticket type
- Baggage allowance depends on the baggage rules applied at the time of your flight
- Different rules apply to specific destinations
firearms and ammunition
- Guns and ammunition are restricted on some international flights
- No firearms, including sporting rifles, are allowed on any flights operated by Comair domestically. (This includes domestic British Airways and kulula.com flights).
- On services where guns and ammunition are carried, a handling fee may be charged or they may be excluded from your free baggage allowance. In this case an excess baggage fee is charged
- Permission must be granted before check-in
- All guns and ammunition must be carried as checked baggage only
- All guns must be unloaded, have the safety catch on and be suitably packed
- Carrying guns and ammunition is covered by the ICAO Technical Instruction and IATA Regulations referred to above
- Please carry all guns or ammunition documentation and licences with you
special needs assistance
Before you travel please let Vitality International know if you need any special assistance with the following:
- Have a disability and need assistance
- Need to book a wheelchair or other mobility assistance
- Want to check if you are fit to fly
- Wish to travel with your pet
- Are booking a flight for an unaccompanied child
- Have special dietary requirements
travelling with your own wheelchair
When travelling with your own wheelchair please have details of its size and weight on hand when making a booking. You should know that:
- As long as there is space, collapsible wheelchairs and mobility aids will be kept in the aircraft cabin. If not, wheelchairs will be carried in the hold section of the aircraft
- Up to two mobility aids, e.g. a wheelchair and checked baggage allowance will be carried for free
- Battery-powered wheelchairs require certain safety measures before travel
- Some airports might have to take your wheelchair or mobility aid at check-in and return it on arrival. You’ll be transported from check-in to the aircraft in another wheelchair, and on arrival from the aircraft to the baggage hall of your destination airport