You’ve trained like a mad person all year and your burning ambition now is to pack up your bike and get to the top of Chapman’s Peak.
To take some of the weight off your shoulders, our bike transportation service will help you with this pressing desire and give you peace of mind. For this to work there are 3 simple rules you must follow:
- You must drop your bike off in advance before you fly. We’ll provide the dates and times closer to the time.
- You must drop your bike off at the designated drop-off areas. Details of these will be provided closer to the time.
- You must pack your bike securely to protect it from handling.
packing your bike for take-off
What you need to dismantle depends on the type and size of container or packaging you’re using: bubble wrap, bike bag, cardboard box or hard shell. You need to ensure that all moving parts of the bike are fastened and secured, and that there are no parts jutting out or have the potential to break through the container.
Follow these basic guidelines:
- Remove or turn the pedals inwards
- Lower the seat fully or remove
- Lower and turn the handlebars parallel to the frame and secure in place or dismantle from bike
- Remove the front wheel or both wheels
- Deflate your tyres
- Remove speedometers and electronic equipment and pack into your hand luggage
- Add extra protection to parts that protrude
- Pack your bike into the bike bag or box and ensure there are no loose parts
- Accessories must also be securely placed in the box
- Label the container clearly with your name, contact details, flight number and booking reference
- No nitrogen pumped tyres are allowed.
Bicycle inflation pump CO2 cartridges filled with division 2.2 carbon dioxide non-flammable gas will be accepted for transportation as checked baggage only. The maximum amount per passenger is limited to four 16 gram cartridges
- We recommend that you place your bike on your private insurance policy
bike delivery to Cape Town
- At check-in, keep the release tag issued for collection
- Produce your booking reference number, proof of handling fee payment and your green bar-coded ID book
- We will make every effort to have your bike in Cape Town by the time you arrive or on the same flight as yours, but due to bike volumes and space restrictions, this is not guaranteed
bike collection from Cape Town
On return home:
- If your bike is not placed on your return flight, it will be ready within 2-3 days for collection
- Kindly contact us beforehand on the following numbers:
Office hours - 071 932 6344 or
After hours - 083 799 9006 or 083 799 9024
- Produce the handling fee document, booking reference, release tag and your green bar-coded ID
- Do collect your bike within one week of arrival to avoid a storage fee
- Bikes can only be released to the person in possession of the handling fee document
- Bikes going to the terminals are only for passengers connecting to international flights
Rest assured, with our Cape Argus bike transport service, your bicycle will be safely stored and happy while it waits for its flight to Cape Town. For more information please call our Contact Centre 0861 KULULA (585852).