Unabridged birth certificates

If you’re travelling to or from South Africa with a minor (younger than 18 years old) from 1 June 2015, you’ll need to produce an Unabridged Birth Certificate for the child reflecting the particulars of both parents in addition to their passport (if you’re travelling internationally). This is a new government regulation introduced by the ‘South African Department of Home Affairs’ and will apply to travellers departing from and arriving in South Africa.

The new regulation has been implemented to improve the safety of children and to help prevent child trafficking, kidnapping and abductions. It is therefore the responsibility of adults travelling with minor children to have the necessary documentation or risk being denied boarding.

In addition to the child’s UBC & passport, additional documentation may be required. Please ensure you familiarise yourself with these requirements outlined in the “South African Requirements for Minors Travelling Internationally” document below.

PDF: South African Requirements for Minors Travelling Internationally

How to apply for an Unabridged Birth Certificate

  • With your ID book and child’s ID number, visit your local Home Affairs branch where your Biometric information may be verified.
  • Certified or original copies of all documents are required.
  • The Unabridged Birth Certificate may then be issued to you within 8 weeks from the date of application.

For more information, visit the South African Home Affairs website or download this FAQ