What’s the deal?
As a Discovery Vitality member it pays to be healthy, and the healthier you are, the more your travel savings. You’ll benefit from great savings on British Airways, Emirates and Qantas international flights. Two discounted international flights are available to you per annum and are limited to economy class travel.
Great news! Discovery Miles can also be used to book international flights! You can pay with your Discovery Visa credit card, Discovery Miles or a combination of both. Learn more ways of spending your Discovery Miles.
- There is a fixed R420 Discovery booking fee added to all international flights booked through kulula.com using the Vitality benefit. This fee is charged on each ticket you book, and both adults and children are charged separately. The fee does not apply to infants under 2 years of age.
- All members on an active Vitality policy will qualify for this benefit. You must be 18 years or older to make a booking
- Bookings need to be made at least six weeks in advance to get the maximum travel saving of up to 35% on international flights.
- The limit for this is up to two international economy flights for each member on the Vitality membership, per calendar year.
- International flight bookings made within six weeks of the departure date will qualify for a flat 10% discount. No usage will be deducted when the booking is made within six weeks of the departure date.
- The 10% discount can also be applied to bookings where no usage remains on the International flight benefit for the member.
- The saving is calculated on the base fare and YQ tax which means it excludes airport taxes
- Rates and availability will be the same as the best quoted international fare on the day that you make your booking
- For changes, cancellations or refunds contact Vitality Travel on firstname.lastname@example.org at least 72 hours before departure. Tickets carry restrictions regarding changes, cancellations and refunds
- Annual usage will be deducted by the type of qualifying discounts applied. Where there is a combination of Vitality Health and Vitality Money discounts applied to a flight booking, the usage will be deducted from both Vitality Health and from Vitality Money, respectively.
- If you do not live in Cape Town, Jo’burg or Durbs when booking an international flight, you will need to book the connecting flight separately. Do this by either booking a Vitality British Airways (operated by Comair) flight or a Vitality kulula.com local flight separately from the international flight. If you select this option this flight will contribute to both your international and domestic flight allocation
- If you are travelling to more than one international city or a stopover please email email@example.com for assistance.
- Please ensure that your connecting flights arrive at least 3 hours prior to your international departure time. If a domestic flight is delayed, and you miss your international flight this will constitute as a no-show. A new ticket will have to be purchased
- If a Discovery Vitality member decides to book offline with Vitality Travel, this needs to be done at least 48 hours prior to departure and will incur a service fee which will be charged over and above the Discovery booking fee.
Visit the Discovery website for more information on Discovery Vitality.
NB international flight info:
Adults travelling with children under 18 years
Passports and visas
- Check your passport validity dates. Many countries require your passport to be valid for at least 6 months or more beyond the length of your journey, and must contain at least 3 blank pages so check what applies to you.
- Check which countries require visas, including countries when you are in transit and apply well ahead of time. Confirm details with the relevant authorities directly.
- Make sure you have the correct travel documents for your trip. Entry and transit requirements can change so please check the requirements with the Consulate or Embassy of all countries on your itinerary.
- Make sure your full name (exactly identitical to what appears on your passport) is inserted when making a booking. If they do not match, please do not continue with the booking. Contact the Vitality Travel Team on firstname.lastname@example.org to make an offline booking.
Changes, cancellations, refunds
Contact Vitality Travel on email@example.com
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 08h30 – 17h00
Public holidays: Closed
- Tickets carry restrictions regarding changes, cancellations and refunds, as imposed by airlines
- All service fees and change fees are charged per person
- If you miss a flight this constitutes a no-show and a new ticket will need to be purchased, your original ticket will be non-refundable and any onward connections will be cancelled
- if your ticket qualifies for a refund, it can take up to 8 weeks for the refund to be processed
Advanced passenger information
The governments of various countries are required to collect Advanced Passenger Information from passengers before they travel. You may submit your information online under ‘Manage My Booking’ or at airport check-in.
The following information is mandatory:
- Passport number, country of issue and expiry date
- Your name as it appears on the passport
- Date of birth
Additional information for travel to the USA:
- Country of residence
- Destination address in the USA (except USA citizens or residents)
- The Alien Registration Number (Green Card) for USA residents only
Tips for packing your bags
- Before you travel, weigh your bags and make sure both your checked and hand luggage are within the maximum luggage allowance
- Pack valuables such as medicine, money and important documents in your hand luggage
A fee is charged for overweight baggage. Please check the baggage allowance with the respective airline:
- Your baggage allowance depends on your travel class and ticket type
- Baggage allowance depends on the baggage rules applied at the time of your flight
- Different rules apply to specific destinations
Firearms and ammunition
- Guns and ammunition are restricted on some international flights
- No firearms, including sporting rifles, are allowed on any flights operated by Comair domestically. (This includes domestic British Airways and kulula.com flights).
- On services where guns and ammunition are carried, a handling fee may be charged or they may be excluded from your free baggage allowance. In this case an excess baggage fee is charged
- Permission must be granted before check-in
- All guns and ammunition must be carried as checked baggage only
- All guns must be unloaded, have the safety catch on and be suitably packed
- Carrying guns and ammunition is covered by the ICAO Technical Instruction and IATA Regulations referred to above
- Please carry all guns or ammunition documentation and licences with you
- Please carry all documentation and licences for guns or ammunition with you when travelling
Special needs assistance
Before you travel please email Vitality Travel on firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know if you need any special assistance with the following:
- Have a disability and need assistance
- Need to book a wheelchair or other mobility assistance
- Want to check if you are fit to fly
- Wish to travel with your pet
- Are booking a flight for an unaccompanied child
- Have special dietary requirements
Please note: The above is only applicable for international flight bookings.
Travelling with your own wheelchair
When travelling with your own wheelchair please have details of its size and weight on hand when making a booking. You should know that:
- As long as there is space, collapsible wheelchairs and mobility aids will be kept in the aircraft cabin. If not, wheelchairs will be carried in the hold section of the aircraft
- Up to two mobility aids, e.g. a wheelchair and checked baggage allowance will be carried for free
- Battery-powered wheelchairs require certain safety measures before travel
- Some airports might have to take your wheelchair or mobility aid at check-in and return it on arrival. You’ll be transported from check-in to the aircraft in another wheelchair, and on arrival from the aircraft to the baggage hall of your destination airport